A few days/weeks ago, I was reading random articles on the internet with religion as the topic. As I was browsing through the stream of comments in particular article, I saw one that stated that he/she didn't believe in God, as he cannot be seen or felt, but believed in Love in place of it, because it can be seen and felt.
I was amused at the comment because only recently have I learned through many months/years of self-reflection (with a little help from people/events who inspire me) that
God is Love.
Love is the greatest feeling in the world. Not necessarily romantic love (for all of you romantics out there) obviously. It also includes love for your parents, love for your friends... love for
everyone, basically.
As a child, I was taught in school that the big guy in the sky loves everyone
unconditionally. No buts and no ifs. He just loves everyone.
Unconditionally. But over the recent years I became in conflict at the idea of how He could leave evil people to rot in Hell if He loved everyone unconditionally. So I eventually started reflecting and questioning the things that have been taught to me.
(I'll leave this topic for another post later)
A few months back, I tried to integrate a new moral code in my life: to love everyone unconditionally, to accept them for who they are, and to be non-judgmental. It was really hard at first. I couldn't help but think about why they should be deserving of acceptance. But I managed to do it somehow. I loved everyone simply because they
were. (I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, but's that's the only way I can say it now)
You know what happened? I became more at peace with myself and with others. It has also opened my mind a lot more than when I still believed in my old belief system. As I came to love everyone just as they are, I became happier. A genuine kind of happy. I also felt content. I became
a lot more accepting as a person.
I became
free. Free from the constant need to judge other people (quietly) in my mind. Free from the thinking pattern of "why should I do x when y?" in terms of other people. Free from having to use my energy to feel a certain way about people. I didn't have to think. I just had to
love.
I, of course, sometimes fail to uphold this moral code at times. I am only human after all, and no one is perfect. But I do try. When you make mistakes, sometimes you just gotta move on from it and keep lovin' again.
Signing Off at...
1:17 AM