My parents were screaming at my sister and I and kept telling us to go to mass because it's 'pagpapasalamat'. I said no. They kept asking why. After all these months/years of keeping my personal beliefs private as so not to disappoint my parents and preserve the peace in the house, I finally cracked it.
The conversation went like this:
Dad: You're going to church every Sunday from now on.
Me: No.
Dad: Why not?
Me:I'm not going to listen to the priest anyway! What's the point?!
Dad: You should listen to the priest! Go to mass!
Me: No.
Dad: Why not?
Me: *hesitating* I don't want to.
Dad: WHY NOT?!
This is where I finally crack.
Me: Because I believe in something else, okay?!
Dad: What, so you're an atheist now? You don't believe in God anymore?
Me: Just because I don't go to
Catholic church doesn't mean I'm an atheist!
At that point, he leaves.
------
A few minutes later...
Mom: Go to church, it's 'pagpapasalamat!' (thanksgiving!)
Me:Nooo. >:|
Mom: You and your sister will go! Don't you have a sense of gratitude?
Me: NO. I believe in something else! I plan to go join another church when I'm an adult!
Mom: And when is that, 6 years from now?
[Mind you, I turn legal this year in a few months. I could be in charge of almost all my documents then. And what the actual f-, 6 years?! IT'S ONLY A FEW MONTHS AWAY.] Look, I don't care.
You have to go. Your sister keeps copying you. You have to be a good example!
Deep inside, I was thinking: A good example? A GOOD EXAMPLE OF WHAT? Of being all fake and plastic? To be something I'm not? To be a HYPOCRITE? Really, if I don't consider my beliefs Catholic, then why go to Catholic church? Does my mom want me to exemplify being hypocritical to my sister? At that point, I kept quiet because I was getting tired of arguing. They didn't respect my beliefs at all!
Also, so what if my sister's copying me? It's her choice! I mean, when my brother turned atheist and stopped going to church, that never stopped me from going, did it? I was the complete opposite of my brother! A religious zealot! It's a personal choice! If she wanted to go, then she would've! It's so damn annoying.
------
After that, it was implied that my sister and I were going to go. They went to buy groceries after that conversation. When they got home with the groceries, I was unpacking, when suddenly, my mom said:
You're in charge of putting the groceries away, okay? Your dad and I are going church.
It was around 10-15 minutes before mass started. It left me confused. Did they talk about it while they were away and considered my feelings? Did they give up? Or did they decide not to include us this time because it would take too long for us to get there since me and my sister still had to get ready(which would take 20-30 minutes)?
I'm dreading next Sunday.
I don't want to have anymore arguments.
Why can't you just respect my decision?
Also, my brother is 6 years older than me. If you're implying that you will only consider me as an adult 6 years from now, then why are you still forcing my brother to go when you fully well that he is an atheist? Are you lying?
If this keeps on going, I will take on Plan B: move out of the house A.S.A.P. after getting a job (after university, of course).
Signing Off at...
2:52 AM